Monday, December 31, 2007

First bug report

It seems I have my first bug report when it comes to my budgeting spreadsheet. Anyone not interested in the details can just go grab the latest version from DIYPlanner's financial section. If you want the gory details about spreadsheets behaving badly, read on.

Something that worked 100% fine in Numbers didn't work well at all in other spreadsheets. You could have a table called "Income" with a column called "Planned" and another called "Actual" and have a row with the totals of the columns. The total would look like =sum(Planned) or =sum(Actual). I tried to do this kind of set up in Excel and OpenOffice/NeoOffice and it seemed to work fine, so I copied the one month of budget I did 11 times to make for one year of budgeting worksheets.

It turns out in most spreadsheets, besides numbers, you can only have one batch of cells assigned a name - for the whole spreadsheet. So when I had =sum(Planned_Income) in January, February, March, etc. it was all reading from the Planned_Income cells in one month- January in this case. So I had to go in and assign the "Jan_Planned_Income", "Feb_Planned_Income", etc names to all the named cells and then adjust the formulas to use the new names. What a pain in the neck!

No comments: