Wednesday, May 23, 2007

the best use of money

Over the weekend, my wife and I took a trip from our hometown of Columbus, Ohio up to Michigan to visit a friend of ours. We were planning on staying a night at a hotel, but someone else that was supposed to be visiting and staying the night at our friends' house never showed up. So we ended up staying the night at this friend's house for free instead of plunking down the cash for a hotel room.

We found out that this friend of ours needed some major financial help to get by until June 1. We decided to give our friend a few bucks. It felt really, really good. Instead of giving a hotel $50 or more, we got to spend more time with our friend and got to give some cash to help out.

I challenge anyone who is a Christian to start giving 10% to your church, and anyone who isn't to give 10% to your favorite charity and see what happens.

I heard that J. C. Penny (the founder of the company) gave away 90% of his income and lived on 10%. I also heard of a couple other people doing that, but I can't remember who. I just hope I'll be in a situation to do that some day.

No comments: