Saturday, September 1, 2007

Terrific news (belated update)

Things got crazy busy and just plain crazy in a good way. After a couple weeks of not a whole lot of luck with the job hunting, I heard back from the first place I applied this time around. They scheduled me for an interview. I ended up having another interview that same Monday. By 4:30 PM Monday night, I had a job offer, but I was also waiting to hear back from the other interview. The next day, I get a call with the other job offer. I ended up having two companies more or less fighting over me.

In the end, I ended up on a contract-to-hire position at a little company called Chase. I'm in with a group that handles the systems that stores images of checks for later viewing, so I'm not in a place that I have to worry that my job is putting people deeper in debt.

The best news is the pay: because of losing my job twice in the last year, I've ended up with a salary that is over DOUBLE what it was a year a go!!

My first paycheck was yesterday. I had started saving up some cash when I realized my previous job was looking not nearly as secure as I thought it would be. After this check, paying the bills, and setting aside enough to live on for the month, I had enough to absolutely destroy what was left of my smallest credit card balance. There is now $1,718.24 and one credit card less between my family and being completely debt-free!!! The debt-snowball is rolling and rolling fast!

The bizarre thing about this: I thought for sure when I lost my last job in July, there was no way we'd be able to make the goal we wrote down at the beginning of the year:

DEBT FREE BY CHRISTMAS 2007!!!

No comments: